New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
I tried posting this on my personal blog/site and it crashed in a really nasty way — repairing that is going to take ages. As well as other things.
The thing is: my girlfriend passed away on July 7, on the 52d day in hospital and care — a second brainstem stroke proved to be unsurmountable (is that a word?). I don’t have words for how I feel about this (and somehow I still have to share…).
So now I am designing cards and ads featuring ‘her’ font: National Light (are you reading this, Kris?).
www.miepjukkema.nl (that’s still running ok)
Although it is still pending in my timezone, our fellow Typophiles in NZ and Australia have already crossed the mark, so here goes: Happy New Year to you all!
It sure does. Well, this is to inform the multitudes of readers here that I started a personal blog (once again — had one five years ago, but shut that one down), linked to my website at www.bertvanderveen.nl/blog .
Wordpress engine, very nice theme by Vin Khoi: Basic Maths.
BTW It is in Dutch only. Sorry.
Last Thursday I got confirmation that my proposals for a fashion webretailer were accepted and a budget cleared — so it appears that I am back in business: my first client!
After two years of (professional) inactivity it’s a strange feeling to be back in the loop again. But also exciting — I get to do what I enjoy.
This gig is going to be an ongoing project, with 6 or 7 items to be produced every month. All of them in digital form. For the moment I am going to use Process Type’s Locator as the main typeface. I bought that to use in my own (very limited) identity, but it’s very fitting for upscale woman’s fashion, I think. But I am still on the lookout for a sans with an open character and — very important! — a thin and very thin Light style.
Meaning my other place in Amsterdam. The lady and I have spent the last three days doing a lot of little chores, like putting up curtains, cleaning, etcetera. And some major stuff, like (trying to) connect some radiators. That didn’t work out like I would have liked; the guys that were supposed to do this kind of walked out on us — so we are getting professional help. If everything works out, it will be fixed next week: hot water at last!
Finishing this five–month–project means that I will finally have time to pursue my longtime wish of designing a comprehensive type family. But first (and mostly as a way to learn the intricacies of working with FontLab) I plan to finish a revival I started about six years ago. Maybe more about that later…
As in ‘not’ type-related: I am currently building a kitchen unit for my other place in Amsterdam. Construction of the cabinets is finished, painting them as well. Next phase: getting the tops (they are being done by a stonemason) and installing it. Probably after the summer vacation, on account of floor insulation that will be done somewhere in the second half of August.
Working with your hands makes a nice change from sitting in front of a computerscreen. : )