Soft or Rounded?

satya's picture

Hello Typophiles,
Hope you've all been good.

I'm giving final touches to a new Latin typeface which has also a soft/rounded version. I was slightly confused whether I should call it Rounded or Soft? Any suggestions?

Here is how it looks:


hrant's picture

I think to call it "Rounded" it would need to be... softer. :-)


George Thomas's picture

I would not refer to it as "soft"; that's only good for selling toilet paper or bath towels.

Nick Shinn's picture


flooce's picture

depending on intended use, social might be an option nowadays, instead of rounded

Nick Shinn's picture

Smooth is the word.

eliason's picture

"Rounded" says semicircular terminals to me, which this doesn't have. I think "soft" is fine.

hrant's picture

There's nothing wrong with "Soft"! (And anyway people love toilet paper.)


eriks's picture

I call my FF Unit Rounded, because it is. That word is a participle, meaning something straight has been rounded. Nothing about the amount of rounding. There are typefaces called Round, implying that they do have complete semicircles for terminals.

eliason's picture

True, on rethinking it my expectation of semicircular terminals is too narrow for the word "rounded." But at the same time I see Unit's curves as corners made into "quarter rounds," that is as arcs of a circle and thus also the same kind of "rounded" animal as a font with semicircular terminals. Satya's typeface to my eye is a different thing--more inflated than router-carved.

Syndicate content Syndicate content