Hello there. I am a designer and web developer. However, lately I found myself oddly attracted to typefaces, and I would like to create my own. I already know quite a bit about vector images and other tools needed to create fonts, but I would like to learn more about the actual designing process of a typeface:
- How to maintain consistency between letters in a typeface?
- What features make certain letters easier or harder to read?
- What are 'standard' metrics and ratios used for different kinds of typefaces, and what are the pros and cons of each?
- What design choices were made in famous fonts like, for instance, Helvetica, and why?
- What features are important for a text font, and what features are important for a headline font?
I am sure that there must be quite a few books or ebooks about these subjects. However, I have not been able to find anything myself yet only finding books about 'typesetting books' than books about typesetting.