Typography term: Centered setting with decreasing line lengths

nina's picture

Is there a term in English for this kind of setting often seen in historical books? Centered setting with decreasing line lengths to make a roughly triangular shape.
See attached example of a Dutch book from the middle of the 18th century; I know the Hipnerotomachia Poliphili has beautiful ones too.

nina's picture

Florian Hardwig pointed me to Haslam who calls this “tapered centring”. (German: Spitzkolumne) Thanks!

tmac's picture

I see that Hochuli and Kinross in "Designing Books" call it Tapered Setting. p 34. Pretty much the same as Florian pointed out.

Typography.Guru's picture

By the way: “Spitzkolumne” was used for any text block that didn’t fill the page, not just the ones ending in such a triangle.

Syndicate content Syndicate content