Apple has just released WatchKit along with its custom typeface for free. Somebody will eventually post the same thread so I’m doing it.
A brief collection of (somewhat hostile) opinions I’ve seen:
1. Apple, are you seriously making a mimicry of Roboto, which the typographic community have despised for a million times?
2. Apple, are you seriously copying prevalent neo-grotesks like Akkurat or LL Circular? (This rhetorical question is followed usually by an onslaught against Apple’s degraded moral integrity.)
3. Apple, your copycat neo-grotesk is done so badly, it’s like Arial when in comparison with Helvetica.
4. Apple, are you out of your ideas? Another Helvetica mimicry? I was waiting for a more original design and you’ve disappointed me.
5. For no reason, sans-serifs – especially neo-grotesks – are inherently bad. Those who are obsessed with this “Helvetica fad” are out of their minds.