Welcome to Typophile
Please Sign in.

What kind of calligraphy is this? (NOT font ID)

Primary tabs

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mikey Joyce's picture
Joined: 26 Dec 2014 - 6:07pm
What kind of calligraphy is this? (NOT font ID)

The attached image is the work of designer David Rudnick, however I recently stumbled across a font in development on either this site or a different typography forum using this style as well, but I can't find it anywhere. If you know what I'm talking about a link would be cool, but since I have no other details, that's not the point of this post.

What style of lettering is this? The super-elongated, overly ornamented letterforms that intertwine with each other are so beautiful. I would love to learn more about it but have no information - anything would be appreciated.


Michel Boyer's picture
Joined: 2 Jun 2007 - 1:01pm

There is a cyrillic super elongated style called vyaz http://typophile.com/node/56681. I don't know for the latin alphabet.


Related: http://typophile.com/node/59857

Vladimir Tamari's picture
Joined: 4 Nov 2007 - 11:15pm

I recognized the beautiful lettering as originating from Vyaz, but did not know it was so-called. I once painted a Russian icon (copied from an original) together with the inscription without being able to read it.

Here is more on the subject: