Welcome to Typophile
Please Sign in.


A printing method where type, in the form of metal or wood letters, or more widely since the end of the 1990s, photopolymer plates, and optionally graphics are placed on a press or another stable platform to accept weight and pressure, locked tight in place, with a quoin (specialized wedges), inked, typically with a rubber roller, covered with paper, or other impressionable and portable material, subjected to pressure and release within a press, after which the ink remains on the paper, and the process may be repeated.

There’s a pretty good entry on letterpress at wikipedia.com