in need of guidance, criticism and suggestions

grod's picture

Somehow the elegance this began with is gone, now it feels clunky. I think perhaps I let the extreme contrast of a Didot influence me, then over compensated. I need a fresh perspective on this. Also, sorry about the name, I suck at naming fonts. Feel free to offer an alternative.

Thanks!
-Noah

AttachmentSize
kisbefeSans..pdf27.36 KB
sim's picture

Your attachment does not appear. There is a problem with the file or it is another kind of problem. Can you return a gif or a jpeg?

grod's picture

Strange, it works for me. Try this. Here is a raster version of the pdf:
page 1
page 2. Hope these work better for you.

Forrest L Norvell's picture

Having the e be a rotation of the a (or vice versa) is a neat idea that is totally not working here. "hamburgefons" is an eyesore as a result. I think, at the very least, the counters need to be larger in order for those letterforms to work. The top of the Q feels sawn off rather than flattened. The figures are ungainly. They either need to be smoothed out or made more geometric; they're lumpy now. I like the g, m, and w. Is the x supposed to be leaning to the right?

Right now it feels more like Eurostile, Microgramma, or Bank Gothic more than a didone, mostly because the curves of the bowls and lobes undercuts the contrast in the strokes. It also feels a little like Peignot, with the unusual variations in heights and letterforms. I think what it really needs is to have a coat of consistency slapped over it, and then see what direction you want to take it. It's not boring, but it has no idea what it wants to be when it grows up.

grod's picture

Forrest, aside from the Q, are there any other characters that stick out as being in need of work? You say a coat of consistency, which forms do you think I should take as the model to bring the rest of the face in line with? Rather than making idiotic sample sheets all the time, here's the glyph table Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is very much appreciated.
-Noah

sim's picture

Interesting font. I have some comments. The a and e would be to work again. They do not seem to be a part of the same family. I also suggest of worked again the letter B. I believe that you do not have to cut the top and not use a broken straight line in the center. Good work

grod's picture

What do you think of the a, e, B, Q, and s now?
here are all the glyphs again

sim's picture

It's better. I would reduce a bit the height of the bowl of the a. Do you plan to keep the @ as it is or to use the new a?

Cesar Puertas's picture

I'd try smoothing all contours a little bit because all irregular shapes tend to catch the eye too much for a comfortable reading. Proportions in general seem ok but the geometric origin seems way too evident to me. Good luck! Lowercase "a" and "e" need to be checked, as well as lowercase 3, 5, 6 and 8.

grod's picture

the a is giving me a hard time. any of these three look good?

grod's picture

I started working on the Greek characters. Only thing is, I don't know Greek from greek. So if someone more knowledgeable would care to comment, I'd appreciate it. the glyphs are here.
EDIT
After a bunch more hours of work, I've made some headway. As you can see I've started working on the Russian letters, though they aren't all there yet. Here is the printout of all they glyphs

grod's picture

Kisbefe Sans and my text face, n!samual, play well together, I think. Anyone care explain how to go about selling fonts (not that these are quite ready, but they're getting there), I'm clueless. note, pdf is 3.24mb edit I'm stupid and forgot to check "crop image data to frames" file is now reasonable sized. On a related note, it would be nice if the <strike> tag were enabled for this type of "oops" moment.

sim's picture

Concerning your three a, I will keep the number 1. I would use the number 3, in the italic. I believe that the curve of the top should be less curved.

grod's picture

Well, I've started working on the bold, but I think perhaps what I'm really making is a demi bold. take a look see and let me know what you think. sample

airey's picture

just so you know, the problem people had with the pdf was the fact that you had 2 fullstops before the file type "kisbefeSans..pdf" rather than "kisbefeSans.pdf". an easy fix would be for whoever downloaded it to simply delete the 2nd fullstop but many windows users don't realise this.

grod's picture

Dear all,
Here is a revised version of Kisbefe and two new weights. I'm sorry the hinting is rather bad at the moment so if you don't want to print it you'll need to zoom in like, 600%. Please comment.
-Noah

Syndicate content Syndicate content