New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
ok, i recently downloaded the fontlab demo, but it didn't come with any help files AT ALL. I mean it doesn't even explain how the program works (i guess im used to programs like Maya and those in the Macromedia studio that teach you the basics).
1. So, my first question is, does the actual product come with support?
and my second would be
2. Is there some tutorial on the web where I can master the basics? I don't need to know much about design, since I already have bitmaps of the characters I want to create. I just need to know how to add in some of the features that go with an arabic font such as...
1. Glyph Variants: In arabic, each letter has three different forms depending on its position in the word (initial, medial, final), as well as a fourth "isolated" form. I need to know how to add in these forms.
2. I need to be able to add Diacritic Marks (vowels/markings that go above each letter)
3. I need to be able to add ligatures, a combination of glyphs to form one glyph (some letters, when placed next to others, form one character in Arabic).
I know that features 1 and 3 are possible, especially since they exist in Times New Roman (in the arabic part, as listed in the character map).
I also know that I have to use OTLS (Open Type Library Services) to Shape and Position the glyphs. But what I need to know is how to do this with FONTLAB OR ANY OTHER FONT PROGRAM.
So, if anyone knows of any tutorials which explain this, or programs that come with support explaining this, I would appreciate it if they could let me know about it.
Oh, and if you find it odd that I'm just starting to create fonts and yet I already can use big words like Open Type Font Library, I just stole that from here: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OpenType%20Dev/arabic/shaping.mspx.
ANY HELP would be appreciated.