Sweating over this opentype script font's features

Primary tabs

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magnus Gaarde's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Apr 2004 - 2:17pm
Sweating over this opentype script font's features
0

Hi

I cant't seem to make my opentype features work within this script font.

They are supposed to substitute a connecting letter with a nonconnecting letter whenever it is typed as a single letter.
So typing 'Banana' would result in a fully connected word. But typing 'B anana' would give you a nonconnecting 'B' followed by connecting letters 'anana'.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to work out somethin with the opentype tags 'init', 'isol' and 'fina' but obviously something is wrong since it doesn't work.

Heres a copy of the 'isol' tag

----
EDIT (something whent wrong in this post also :)

Magnus Gaarde's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Apr 2004 - 2:17pm
0

Here's the 'isol' feature

sub @LETTERS_UC by @LETTERS_UC_ISOL;
sub @LETTERS_UC_INIT by @LETTERS_UC_ISOL;
sub @LETTERS_LC by @LETTERS_LC_FINA;

Magnus Gaarde's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Apr 2004 - 2:17pm
0

I might just add that this actually works within Fontlab in the preview panel but not in any other programs.

John Nolan's picture
Offline
Joined: 6 Dec 2002 - 11:00am
0

I'm not sure what programs support "init’, ‘isol’ and ‘fina’, but I don't think most Adobe programs do, if that's what you're using to test.

In addition to those features, you should probably add a "calt" feature, which the current InDesign does support. I've never done it, but I think the "calt" feature can be made to do this sort of thing. See the rather daunting "calt" definition in Adobe's example feature file for Bickham script.

Magnus Gaarde's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Apr 2004 - 2:17pm
0

Oh I see

So I guess the solution would be to make a hell of a long 'calt' feature.

Damn! I might just be too lazy for that ;)

Thanks for the tip though

Magnus Gaarde's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Apr 2004 - 2:17pm
0

Well I didn't have to write a very long feature file to get it to work. I guess you were right about the fact that indesign and other programs do not yet support isol init medi and fina.

I got the thing working by making a calt feature looking like this:

----
###replaces the uppercase letter followed by punctuation or numeral with the isolated formof the uppercase letter.
sub @LETTERS_UC' @PUNCTU by @LETTERS_UC_ISOL;
sub @LETTERS_UC' @FIGURES_LINING by @LETTERS_UC_ISOL;
sub @LETTERS_UC' @FIGURES_OSF by @LETTERS_UC_ISOL;

sub @LETTERS_LC' @PUNCTU by @LETTERS_LC_FINA;
sub @LETTERS_LC' @FIGURES_LINING by @LETTERS_LC_FINA;
sub @LETTERS_LC' @FIGURES_OSF by @LETTERS_LC_FINA;
----

Thx man you saved my day