This is a questionaire to all the graphic designers and layout artists that actually use and purchase display fonts:
1) Do you ever purchase fonts before you know what (paying) project they will be applied to?
2a) Are you more inclined to purchase where you see a large family of weights, styles and cuts available?
2b) If so, do you prefer to purchase them all in one?
Are the following important when deciding between fonts:
3) International accents & alphabets (European, Greek, etc.)
4) Alternate characters (swash '&', ornamented letters)
5) Additional glyphs (archaic letters, dash suites)
6) OpenType "typographics" (alt. punctuation for caps, smart fractions)
7) OpenType "neatos" (random alternates, automated ligatures)
8) What other features strongly affect the decision? Price? Support? License choices? Anything else?