I've always been puzzled by the correct use of fractions. I hate math, so I never spend any thought on getting the fractions right in my fonts or in my typesetting. But it seems to me that I should broaden my horizon so I'd like to know how to correctly create the fraction glyphs in FL.
I have the following questions:
- How big should they be, compared to the x height?
- How are the fraction numbers compared to the superior numbers?
- How should they be aligned?
- What should be the optical weight? I guess they should be a little thinner than the normal weight.
- How does it work in InDesign if you compile it with the fraction glyph (1/2)? You can set the scaling parameters in the document settings. It mostly looks ugly to me, because it makes the numbers to light.
- How do I space or kern the 'fraction' glyph for itself?
I read [[http://typophile.com/node/16879|this thread]], which got me on the way with the basics.
Is there anyone who can assist?