Welcome to Typophile
Please Sign in.

Ragged r

Indices : Terminology : Ragged r (r rotunda)

from John Smiths Printer’s Grammar, London 1755

Blackletter consists of as many sorts as a common font of Roman; ſave that the first has two different r’s, one of which is called ragged r, and is particulary used after letters that round off behind, whether they be capitals, or lowercase sorts. Thus thes are properly put after the following capitals, viz. B, D, G, D, P, V, W; and after these lowercase letters, viz. b, d, h, o, p and w.