Submitted by TomN on 13 November 2007 - 4:20pm
- 1. I'm a typography noob
- This is pretty much a hobby for me, although I'd like to incorporate it into what I do for a living. As I'm planning on going into technical writing, it's inevitable that I'll have to have typographic skills at some point. Perhaps the provided style guides will be out of date. Perhaps there will be no style guides.
- 2. I'm overwhelmed at all there is to learn about this
- I understand the basics of font selection, but if you then gave me 100 fonts to pick from, I could probably pick a broad category of fonts. After that I'd be a little lost. What really makes one geometric sanserif 'better' or 'more suitable' than another? Should I use Avenir, Colbet, Century Gothic, Futura? Why, and when? I get brief inspirations for projects and ideas when I see a new font, but my overall lack of experience pretty quickly derails anything I try.
- 3. I don't have a third item.
- This info is just here to give a quick overview about me. I'm here to learn and any help or instruction I can get would be great. I also already have the generic reccomended typography books, 'thinking with type' and 'elements of typographic style' which I'm working through. The latter, while full of info, tends to assume a bit of prior knowledge.