first of all, i do not intent to start a huge discussion here -
i think i can understand why the numbers are actually nonpublic and kept hidden.
i might be supposed to say, i tried to bring some light into this (for myself ) the last couple of days, read some discussions here at typophile and some other places, did a search on sales, contacted some folks at myfonts, etc.
anyway, it's just something i am interested in and i am still a bit curious -
i wondered if it would be ok to ask what some of you might think, e.g. about how often a font (approximately) sells.. i am not talking about classics here, rather about the younger type design results from the last couple of years..
are those a couple of hundreds or rather close to a thousand, or more.. ?
i can imagine that different aspects will play a keyrole in the answer, e.g.
- how interesting the original idea for the type is
- how well the type is drawn and/or digitized
- how many people actually know the final font exists (marketing)
- how well the font suits a certain contemporary need
- display and script fonts vs. text font
et cetera -
anyway, i was just wondering,
i hope its not the kind of question the majority will be offended by -
best to all of you!