letterpress type font?

photosynthesize's picture

hello... this image is of some hand rendered wooden letterpress blocks (it's by alan kitching). i'd really like to find a typeface that creates a similar effect and has the same kind of letter shapes (they vary a bit here, but you get the idea - sans serif and well balanced, quite blocky). can anyone suggest?

AndrewSipe's picture

Considering the G and R, it looks like good old Helvetica.

typerror's picture

A nice example of the boustrphedonic "writing."


bobbybobo's picture

I see here a condensed version, a wide one and a regular one.
What about Myriad Pro.
But I think it comes down to the execution. How you put everything together. Font is relevant, but not as much here. I guess.

photosynthesize's picture

i guess it's not so much about identifying the font here, as about knowing of a typeface which is electronically available and uses the cracked, decayed wooden letterpress effect.

Jan's picture

Take different weights of Helvetica and then do this.

bobbybobo's picture


I think the decayed wooden letterpress effect is something you might have to do yourself in – for example – Photoshop.
Brings a personal touch.

In case of ready fonts: Try Dafont.com for fonts. Perhaps you will find something over there.
But in you example there are different colors used in one letter.
That is not possible with a font. You have to tweak it.

I would go for a normal letter and alter it yourself.

Good luck.

photosynthesize's picture

thanks guys. i thought i'd probably have to resort to photoshop but thought i'd see if anyone knew of any decent alternatives. :)

mattjohn's picture

I think your best bet for this type of treatment (no pun intended) is to typeset what you want in Illustrator or InDesign and then take it into Photoshop and grunge it up. I use the Machine Wash filter set put out by Mister Retro. Not sure where you could get them to try them out but they do a beautiful job.

Hope this helps.


Chris Cousins's picture

If you're keen to take the pre-made font route, you could do worse than some of Rian Hughes' latest fonts, Dukane is a good start, or there's his Weathered Woodface Collection looks useful, if a little rough...

AndrewSipe's picture


Diner's picture

I may be a little late to the conversation but of course this could be easily recreated by combining our Machine Wash and Permanent Press filters. Check 'em out at: http://www.misterretro.com


aluminum's picture

I was going to mention the misprinted type too.

We made a few back in the day:


But DIY isn't too hard, either...a photocopier and scanner can come pretty close to getting what you want.

Eyerman's picture

Here is a good source for digitized wood type, warts and all:


guiyong's picture

You must find old fashion printing machine to make this fonts. Usually the fonts in a computer are too crisp.

cumaso's picture

Without Walls is another good resource.

ben_archer's picture

I agree that digital fonts are too crisp to do this effect convincingly; however, if you must use a computer-generated font to do this, rather than printing your own hand-cut blocks, FF Kipp by Claudia Kipp was one of the pioneering examples of getting computers to simulate the distressed surfaces of letterpress.

bobbybobo's picture

I also agree, that is why I think you should fiddle around with a font (perhaps FF Kipp) in Photoshop to soften the edges.

aluminum's picture

guiyong might have slipped there...that's actually valid advice. ;o)

Letterpress printers are almost like StarBucks these days...shouldn't be too hard/expensive to find one that can whip up some proof prints for you.

aluminum's picture

Come to think of it...a letterpress + coffee shop sounds like a good business plan...

aluminum's picture

How does FF Kipp work? Is that a set of layered faces, kind of like Rosewood?

Syndicate content Syndicate content