- As far as I can tell, people that are actually active themselves within the open source community are well aware of just how difficult it is to create a good font, and do not go about asking people for free fonts all the time.
- There will soon be a spiffy looking distribution channel for FOSS fonts, maintained by people who as far as I can tell are serious about designer’s IP. edt: which does not imply that I think the fonts currently there are all that usable
- There is a great free font editor edt: an able free font editor, a great free font scripting library, and a very handy free-as-in-beer SDK (though I am just echoing the consensus here edt: and adjusting to the reactions, can not claim personal authority on these matters)
- There is a community of experts that are willing to share their professional insight in type design edt: added link to clarify tongue-in-cheeck
- There are some excellent channels where anybody can find and contribute typographic knowledge
- There are lots of existing foss font projects you can jump right in
- There is an effort initiated by the typographic community ‘to make a free, open source font superfamily, starting with a linear sans serif’. It’s proceedings are not public, which may not accord to the working ethic of the FOSS community, but would that matter if they manage to produce great fonts that are licensed under a free license?edt: that being meant as a rhetoric question, not an open one
Or am I wrong?
With regards to discussing free fonts on the crit board:
Could the different concept of authorship exemplified in FOSS add an interesting dimension here? As in, it makes perfect sense to bring in a typeface you did not design yourself yet still try to fix it?
There are many existing FOSS fonts out there, of which a large part could presumably use tender loving typocare. Wouldn’t it be a very efficient way to increase the quality of FOSS type when, for example, your spacing in OpenOffice looks off, you just bring up the font here and let the community help you in fixing it?
I didn’t see a who’s going to Robothon thread yet, but I am, more of you who are interested in the foss type world?