NYT T Style Magazine Blackletter Typeface

mcchildes's picture

Has anyone else noticed the beautiful blackletter typeface that is used in the New York Times Style Magazine? It is the best blackletter typeface I've come across in a long time but I can't figure out what the name of it is, if its for sale, or if it was created specifically for the magazine. The only things I've uncovered is that the T logo itself was designed by Matthew Carter. I thought that maybe Carter designed the accompanying blackletter typeface as well but I've not been able to track it down. I have actually e-mailed the New York Times asking about the name of the typeface, but of course they haven't answered back. Any clues, suggestions, answers would be helpful. Thanks.


Link to T Magazine: http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/04/19/style/t/index.html#pageName=homem

Picture 1.png12.46 KB
Maxim Zhukov's picture

Yes, that typeface was indeed designed by Matthew Carter. The font name is FrakturSix-NYT, which is ironic because the style of the blackletter is actually Textur[a] (Gothic), not Fraktur.

mcchildes's picture

Excellent. Thanks, now where do I buy it? Is it for sale?

Syndicate content Syndicate content