Is there a name for this kind of U?

jonathanhughes's picture

Does this type of stemless, asymmetrical "U" have a name or classification? Is its origin linked to one particular country or era?


u.jpg6.06 KB
Nick Shinn's picture

It's the Dax U.
IIRC, there were some VGC typositor faces that had this feature about 40 years ago, but never as popular as Dax in the digital era.

Stephen Coles's picture

I call it spurless, but it's not an ideal term.

Andreas Stötzner's picture

There is a bunch of typefaces featuring this detail nowadays. I call them “simple sans”.

Syndicate content Syndicate content