I have set myself a challenge to work on my logo and illustrator skills that are sorely lacking, as such this is not a professional project but an exercise.
The mark is for Lotus F1, they are an British motorsport team racing in formula one. They have a rich heritage in the sport, and have in the past being very successful team. I set myself a short brief...
- Create an timeless icon, without bowing to current trends
- Display the heritage of the team
After a long sketching process, I have arrived with the attached solution.
- The unlying motif is a speedbird, the iconic symbol of speed with strong ties to Britain.
- The 7 lines represent the 7 constructors world championships the team has won
- The "CC" within the wheel are the initials of the founder, Colin Chapman.
- [[http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2012-testing/Jerez-7/lotus.jpg|I have refined the motif to emulate the unique nose of the current car.]]
Before I redraw this rough sketch I would love some honest critique and suggestions to improve the mark. At this point, the type is just to show lockup.
- Is the concept too weak? Too complicated?
- Does the mark feel imbalanced?
Any and all input appreciated, thank you.