Trying to find the exact Fraktur version featured in Wikipedia article....

The Wikipedia article on Fraktur typefaces has an example at the top right of the page....I can not fund the exact Fraktur typeface anywhere that has the exact same "F" as in that image though.....Does anyone know what exact fraktur typeface is shown there".....I find plenty similar, but none exact. Image attached.


That’s not a font but handwritten.

Zeno, for similar styles, you might browse through Manfred Klein's blackletters. His site is difficult to browse, but the reward for your work is that all the fonts are, I believe, free for personal use.

It should be mentioned that the German word "Fraktur" was not in use during the centuries, when the Fraktur typefaces were in use.

While the huge, multi-volumed Grimm's dictionary


includes the word "Schwabacher", it does not include the word "Fraktur".

Therefore, you cannot find an old handwriting specimen of the word "Fraktur" drawn in Fraktur letters.

For details see

Nota bene: This refers to general dictionaries only.
Some old typesetting books used the word "Fraktur".

In 1793, Johann Gottlob Immanuel Breitkopf used the word "Fraktur" repeatedly in his book "Ueber Bibliographie and Bibliophilie", but before 1850, the word "Fraktur" was not common in German dictionaries.

According to Bain & Shaw's blackletter book, "fraktur" and "schwabacher" are two styles of blackletter (the other two being "textura" and "bastarda").


"fraktur" and "schwabacher" are two styles of blackletter

If you look at the 22 languages using the latin or the cyrillic script (excluding simple english) that are offered as alternatives for the Wiki entry Blackletter (left pannel), 20 of them call those fonts "Gothic", one uses the word "Gebrochene" (which for me conveys a meaning close to fraktur) and one (Latin) uses "Litterae fractae".

Do you really think the English term "Blackletter" is of any help here?

Terms are helpful in proportion to their acceptance. I myself don't mind revising [my] terminology (for example I'd love for people to start calling the Nazi swastika "hakenkreuz" instead) but the reality on the ground is that those other terms you mention* are virtually unknown. Now, it might make sense to call it something else in another language, but we are presently using English.

* Especially "gothic", which means "sans" to many people.


"gothic", which means "sans" to many people.

The Wiki entry Blackletter nevertheless starts with "Blackletter, also known as Gothic script, Gothic minuscule, or Textura" and the entry sans-serif says explicitly that the use of "gothic" for "sans" is outmoded.