New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
In the past few years (especially 2014) of looking at design blogs on Tumblr or browsing Behance, I've come across a lot of similarities between designs, aka "trends". And I think trends are driving a lot of the most celebrated design work of today.
You can look at http://trendlist.org/ for a good example of what I'm talking about.
Just a few of the most popular design trends:
- Letterspace: spacing out or throwing around the letters of a word within a design
- Hyphens: adding hyphens somewhat randomly to words
- Left, Right, Up, Down: placing words on the sides of the design, forcing people to read sideways
- IK (International Klein) Blue: the use of a bold saturated shade of blue
- Squiggles: using squiggly lines across the design -- this one seems like one of the oddest
Very much a work in progress, but as a designer who regularly has to purchase/license type and other resources, I just fired up a blog over at dlio.tumblr.com to dig-up/share daily deals, discounts & fresh releases of curated/quality type & design resources. Check it out or follow @getdlio if interested, and of course... hit me with your thoughts/ideas!