This is really weird. I been struggling with this for a day and finally figured out my problem is centered on unicode 2665.
If I include unicode 2665 (heart) in my font, MS Word (or PowerPoint) will not render the font and insteads renders every glyph in Times New Roman. However, if I simply remove 2665 from the font MS Word renders my font perfectly.
The same font renders perfectly in MS Publisher, InkScape, and Gimp.
I have tried searching but can't find anyone who has had my particular issue with an unicode character.
I'm running Windows 7 64bit, Office 2010, FontForge 13:48 GMT 22-Feb-2011. Which is the latest stable FontForge version for 64-bit windows.