character;accentered character;typografical mark;character identity

I've found a character I dont recognise in an old publication

I thought I had seen most of the unusual characters associated with scientific publication in the 19th century but this one has got me stumped. It occurs several times at the end of sentences published in an 1829 issue of the Philosophical Magazine, and, as I haven't seen it before I am wondering if it has any significance to the text, or if it is merely typographical decoration. Could you tell me what the character is called and if it has any special meaning in its context. The attached image is a picture of the character as taken from the original printed material. The OCR program has interprted it as "Tj" in one place and as "^" in another, but I doubt this has any meaning, given that the program in use cannot reliably extract the letters ae from the character æ!