Welcome to Typophile
Please Sign in.

sloped roman


Indices : Terminology : Oblique or Sloped Roman

Oblique or Sloped Roman letterforms are sometimes incorrectly called italic. Like italics, obliques are used to offset, or give emphasis to, certain parts of a text otherwise set in upright roman type.

Oblique styles may also be called slanted roman since they are the same letterforms found in the roman face but have been slanted. In some instances they are mechanically slanted (where a slant is created by the font software) or hand-drawn slanted by the designer.

Italic letterforms (sometimes called “true italics” to further distinguish from obliques) have been drawn so that they are more formally differentiated from upright roman letters.