Pardon my amateurism.
I am looking for sources (books, articles, researchers,..) on the geometric analysis of letter shapes. All typography books and sites I have seen are concerned on type design aesthetically and historically, but do not address its geometric, non-artistic and non-aesthetic foundations:
- decomposition of letters in sub-shapes, structure of sub-shapes and comparison of letters' super-structures
- mathematical definitions of distance between shapes and letters, geometric definition of legibility
- analysis of 1D (no width) versus 2D (with width), geometric analysis of fonts
- geometric analysis and comparisons (and critiques) of fonts, of alphabets
- conceptualisation of new letters