Hi, I'm doing some scripting with fonts and it just so happens that in the conversion, the glyph names will be the same as the unicode names, I've found that this seems to be okay (i.e. /a/ will be called uni0061 instead). Are they only for human-reabable purposes, or do they need to be the specific name that corresponds to the unicode number?
Welcome to Typophile
Please Sign in.
I conducting an abbreviation research to see what is best for my production rate regarding glyph names.
Small Caps [smcp]
Alternative Small Caps [????]
Petite Caps [pcap]
Alternative Petite Caps [????]
Standard Numeral Caps? (cant’t find a better word for it) [????]
Alternative Standard Numeral Caps [????]
What I need is basically a system that makes it easy to add new forms (swash, small caps, old style numerals etc.) with consistent four-letter suffix? So that I can keep true to it.
(I hate to write for example “one.onum_tnum” or “oneonum.tnum” . . .)
If a smart standard exist (that is shared by some developers) -- it would be perfect!
I've been designing a few caps features for one of my text typefaces. Think of the Van Krimpen hyphen, and of course height-adjusted parens, middots, endash and emdash (with hopes of making cap-specific tabular numerals too — one day!). Question is, how do I go about naming them? hyphen.alt is too vague and might clash at some point. hyphen.caps? I was looking for examples, but after ten minutes in the Adobe specification site, I threw in the towel. Is there a convention?
Edited title to reflect proper nomenclature; post left intact to keep the thread sensible.
I want to add a t with a cedilla under it to an existing font. Unicode shows that character encoded as 0163 but the font already has a t with a comma accent encoded with 0163 with a glyph name of tcommaaccent.
I'm adding it to the PUA and THOUGHT that I could name it t_cedilla to make search engines find it when the regular t is searched. I've also tried naming conventions of tcedilla, t.cedilla and uni007400B8 (0074 is the t and 00B8 is the cedilla) but to no avail. The tcommaaccent character that was already in the font is found when a t is searched.
I'm exporting from InD CS3 and searching in Acrobat 9.
I THOUGHT I'd done this before in another font, but of course can't find where.
I'm having weird things happen with a font name.
I've dabbled with Fontographer over the years to create some architectural fonts for my business (I'm an architect, if that's not obvious). I created a font "ErickTheArchitect 9" in Fontographer, and when it was ready to deploy I saved it as MikitenArch, to match my firm's web address.
I've used the font for 2-3 years with no problems. All of a sudden a few months ago the font showed up missing in some software, getting something else substituted. In other places it reverted somehow back to "ErickTheArchitect 9". In FontBook I've only got ErickTheArchitect 9. Other people in my office continue to use MikitenArch just fine. But I seem to be seeing more and more places where my computer won't accept it.
I tried asking this question over at the FontLab forum, but there doesn’t seem to be very much activity there, so I’m trying here as well. Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before – at any rate I have not been able to find an answer in the archives.
I am developing a font which includes a large number of glyphs in the Private Use Area. For these I would like to use my own names, primarily because many of them have alternate forms accessible through aalt, stylistic sets etc. Coding would get much easier if I could use semantic names rather than “uniExxx”, especially in case I want to change the Unicode index of a glyph (each time I do that, I have to track down every reference to that glyph in the code and change the name).