misuse of the term "justify"

I am taking a poll among the cognoscenti here on the proper use of the term "justify" in typography.

Has it become acceptable to use such terms as "justified left," or "left justified"? Does anyone else wince at this?

I was taught many years ago that type can be set centered, justified, flush left or flush right. Those were the only choices. There was no such thing as "justified left" or "justified right." Sometimes we would add "rag right," or "ragged right" to the "flush" direction, or abbreviate "FL/RR," for example. Perhaps the "rag" language has dwindled. Specifying the rag was extra clarification. But in my mind, one should only use "justified" in one way, when both sides of a column are flush. Am I right?

Beautifully Justified Columns?


I’ve done freelance graphic design as a hobby for many years, and then went to school for it. I am now working as a tech and tutoring in ID, ILL & PS CS5.

My education taught me there are bad ways to use layout programs so I want to make sure the students I tutor can benefit from learning good habits as opposed to just taking the easy way out by letting the app decide how things should look.