In the past few years (especially 2014) of looking at design blogs on Tumblr or browsing Behance, I've come across a lot of similarities between designs, aka "trends". And I think trends are driving a lot of the most celebrated design work of today.
You can look at http://trendlist.org/ for a good example of what I'm talking about.
Just a few of the most popular design trends:
- Letterspace: spacing out or throwing around the letters of a word within a design
- Hyphens: adding hyphens somewhat randomly to words
- Left, Right, Up, Down: placing words on the sides of the design, forcing people to read sideways
- IK (International Klein) Blue: the use of a bold saturated shade of blue
- Squiggles: using squiggly lines across the design -- this one seems like one of the oddest