- Elements of Lettering and Sign Painting. Scranton: The Colliery Engineer Company. 1899.
- A comprehensive course on lettering from The International Correspondence Schools. This book consists of two parts explaining lettering styles and designs as well as the know-hows to methods and materials. An interesting read for anyone learning about hand lettering. Bibliographic record and a digital copy is available at Open Library. http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24157380M/Elements_of_lettering_and_sign_painting
- Elements of Lettering, by Frederic W. Goudy. New York: Mitchell Kennerley, 1922.
- This is a companion manual to Goudy’s The Alphabet. It was intended to be a general specimen to a handful of lettering styles for craftsmen. Bibliographic record and a digital copy is available at the Open Library. http://openlibrary.org/books/OL6648740M/Elements_of_lettering_(with_XIII_full-page_plates)
Originally published in Dutch in 1985, this small volume by Gerrit Noordzij expounds an entirely new theory of the design of writing. At its core are three concepts:
- The Heartline
- The Counterpoint
- A function α, which describes the transition from one counterpoint to the next
Modified Consonants & Glottal Stop:
Common Conjuncts & Ligatures:
Punctuation & Symbols: